Yoga is a systematic scientific process of self un-foldment and an ancient art based on a harmonizing system of development for the body, mind and spirit. Yoga is the best curative and preventive medicine for most of the ills of the man resulting from the so-called modern living. Yoga is one of the most important Indian philosophy out of six Indian philosophy (Shad Darshana) and valuable gift of Indian culture ( Rishi Culture)to Evoke hidden potentialities in a systematic and scientific way by which man become a fuller individual as well as It is a Science and art of pure life style with disciplines and conscious process to solve his problems.
• YUJYATE ANENA ITI YOGAH ( Dictionary meaning) that which unites in yoga
• YOGAH CHITTA-VRTTI-NIRODHAH ( Patanjali) yoga is the cessation of vrittis (modifications) of mind.
• MANAH PRASAMANAH UPAYA YOGA- ITYABHI DHIYATE ( Vasistha) yoga is a (subtle) technique to calm down the mind
• YOGAH KARMASU KAUSALAM ( Lord Krisna in Geetha) yoga is skill in action.
• SAMATVAM YOGA – UCHYATE ( Bhagvad Geeta) Equanimity of mind in yoga
• Sri Aurobindo says : Yoga elevates a man from the level of animal man to Divine man
• Swami Vivekananda – Yoga is a way to condense the process of evolution. Each and every soul is potential divine, but the goal is to manifest this divinity within you by controlling nature internally or externally by doing Karma yoga, Bhakthi yoga, Jnana yoga or Raja yoga do one or more and be free.
Yogic concept of human body
According to the World Health Organization ( WHO) the state of health is defined as a state of complete physical, mental, social and spiritual well being and not merely an absence of disease or infirmity. As per the yogic tradition and taittariya upanishadic principles, there are five sheathes of existence of man called ‘kosha’ yogic management ( Yoga therapy) provides various techniques to bring back the balance of each koshas.(Study more in TTC & therapy class)
1. Annamaya Kosha( physical ) – Asanas, kriyas, diet and relaxation
2. Pranamaya Kosha ( pranic) – pranayama, breathing techniques, etc.
3. Manomaya Kosha ( Mental) – Mediation , devotional sessions, alpha music therapy
4. Vijnanomaya Kosha ( rational) – National corrections through counseling
5. Anandamaya Kosha – Practice of joy in all circumstance and work in relaxation ( Karma Yoga, Seva Yoga)
Chakras ( Psychic energy centers)
If the aim is to relax and gain optimum physical benefit from yoga practices, it is necessary to concentrate on something(Dristi or Focus) by directing the mind to a specific region of the body or the breath, the effect will be increased. These particular region is called chakras nothing but Energy centers or whirlpool. associated with the major nerve plexuses (endocrine glands of the body). Chakra will damages when you don’t do exercise or if you add toxin from tablets, medicines. So you need to heal or balance your chakras with specific yoga process. The major chakras are seven in number and are located along with the pathway of the spinal cord from the base of the spine to crown . Different Sanskrit alphabets, petals, Bija mantra ( sound), Elements, color, Mudra are used for Chakra ( for more details- TTC)
Differences between Yogasana and Physical exercise
|Aim to achieve sense of well-being||Awards and trophies|
|Static in nature||Dynamic|
|Slow, steady movements||Fast movements|
|Possible to practice throughout life without limitations||There is limitations ( age, injury)|
|No fatigue and injury||Fatigue and injury|
|No violent muscle movement||Violent muscle movement|
|Stimulates para sympathetic nervous system||Stimulates sympathetic nervous system, etc|
|Solutions ( weight loss) is permanent||Solutions may not be permanent.|